The turn of the year marked the start of the transfer window which will be Michael Appleton’s first at the club. He brought in Wes Thomas on loan which proved a good signing with 3 goals in 7 appearances, however his time has ended with Thomas returning to Bournemouth. There is a possibility he could return on a further loan.
Another striker looking for a move is DJ Campbell who is no stranger to us, he’s recently bagged 10 in 17 at Ipswich who have made an offer to the QPR man. However with QPR in all sorts of trouble Harry Redknapp might see DJ fitting in at Loftus Road.
At the moment the two above are the only two names that spring to mind. It will be interesting to see what Appleton’s transfer strategy is like. Ollie in the past admitted that he used agent’s videos and once his wife picked out a transfer target from watching a video clip. Ollie’s transfer activity could be seen as similar to playing online casino games, putting out lots of bets on many players and hoping “one or two come good”. The evidence seen by our huge squad.
As for Appleton’s approach it’s hard to tell from his previous managerial job at Portsmouth, under difficult circumstances he had to bring in a new team this summer. Ten arrived at once.
- Kieran Djilali – 21-year-old winger, most recently at AFC Wimbledon – 1 match played – Recently released
- Mustapha Dumbuya – 25-year-old right-back, left Doncaster in summer – 21 matches played
- Jon Harley – 32-year-old former Chelsea left-back, left Notts County in summer – 23 matches played – 1 goal
- Brian Howard – 29-year-old midfielder most recently at Reading. Will be Pompey captain – 23 matches played
- Izale McLeod – 27-year-old striker who left Barnet this summer – 23 matches played – 10 goals
- Lee Williamson – 30-year-old midfielder, formerly of Sheffield United – 18 matches played
- Simon Eastwood – 23-year-old goalkeeper who played in the Plymouth defeat – 6 matches played
- Jack Compton – 23-year-old midfielder who left Falkirk in the summer – 7 matches played
- Luke Rodgers – 30-year-old former Lillestrom striker – 6 matches played – 2 goals – Loaned out to Shrewsbury
- Liam Walker – 24-year-old midfielder who played for Spanish side San Roque last season – 5 matches played.
He also brought in four loan players at once.
- Mikkel Andersen – 23-year-old keeper (Reading) – 18 matches played
- Conor Clifford – 20-year-old midfielder (Chelsea) – 2 matches played – 1 goal
- Paul Connolly – 28-year-old defender (Leeds United) – 4 matches played
- Kevin Long – 22-year-old defender (Burnley) – 5 matches played
So a bit of a mixed bag but of couple of good signing in McLeod, Howard, Harley and Dumbuya, also Wes Thomas who scored 3 in 6 on loan earlier this year. However some questionable purchases e.g. Luke Rodgers who had played abroad and since been loaned out.
We’ll have to wait and see what happens in the next month and what the strategy is, but be sure that KO will have some say on the matter. It’s possible that there will be minimal movement until the futures of Alex Baptiste and Tom Ince are sorted. Once resolved that could spark activity.